Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Take Your Tumors to the Movies: Deadpool

I love going to the movies. I sill believe in the magic of film and cinema, and the movies is a small joy that is there for me even when I feel at my worst. My husband and I bring up the armrest and hold hands the whole time.

The thing about the movies is that before being diagnosed, the depiction of cancer in movies wasn't something I thought of often. It was there in stories, as passing plot points, but something changes when you have it...you become hyper-aware of its use as a plot device. It is everywhere. I mean, everywhere. It is almost shorthand for "the worst possible thing in the world happened to this character" so you can accept why they help / kill / love / others. It's hard to explain since I don't remember all instances, but rest assured, the second they mention it my husband throws his hands in the air. He hates the reminder.

I saw Deadpool this weekend, knowing full well this was a big plot point, but it looked like crazy fun. I wasn't sure how they would treat it in a superhero movie and was kinda curious, kinda apprehensive. Usually, the movie cancer patient is a sad, withering, one-dimensional person - everyone talks real low, cries alot, soft-focus shots...you know the drill. I think of Cloe from Fight Club.

Deadpool was...surprisingly poignant. Yes, for a movies that includes insane violence and the words "...sandpaper dildo", it was surprisingly poignant on this front. I couldn't stop thinking about it at the end. Ryan Reynolds scenes with his girlfriend felt very real to my experience because they were multidimensional - there was fear, pain, and humor, and love, hope, all swirling around together. There was the apprehension of how to properly deal with a diagnosis that gives you no hope. He says at one point, it's not what it does to you , it what it does to those that love you. I have said the same thing, I can handle what it does to me- but seeing what it does to those that love me, that is the hardest part. And the fact that Deadpool got that, made me oddly happy. Seeing someone on screen handling late stage cancer with such a range of emotions, including humor, was nice.

Vague Spoiler Alert: So he gets promised a cure that will also make him superhuman. He willingly undergoes tremendous pain in the hopes of being cured, so he can come home to the woman he loves. It ends in fire, and we see him emerge from the ashes. Cured, but changed. Scarred from the journey. I teared up, because it felt like such an analogy. I don't care what hell I have to go through, I will do it if it just gives me the chance.

And if I can be a wise-cracking superhero at the end, even better.

Check out the PSA on early cancer detection from Deadpool. There's one for the fellas, and one for the ladies.


1 comment:

  1. My wife was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer the doctors said he got all the cancer out after removing about twelve inches of her colon. Thinking she was cancer free we went home very happy.It took the doctors months to figure out I didn't have gastritis, but stage 4 small colon cancer. she started having terrible pain in her abdomen, and vomiting but no blood in either. I had a general surgeon do surgery and it was supposed to be laparoscopic but ended up being exploratory. They had to remove a foot and a half of her small colon (doing a resection), her appendix, one ovary, and part of the large colon. was on Folfox for 3 months and then Folfirinox for 4 months to try and get ready for surgery and the HIPEC (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy) procedure. I was just told I am not a good candidate for this surgery because the surgeon did not see enough response with the chemotherapy. Now my oncologist is putting me on Erbitux and a cancer cell blocker. I am nervous because of possible side effects,after a member of my church introduced me to a doctor,which i contacted as fast a possible via email, he gave her his medication which she took as prescribed by him, last two month she was diagnosed colon cancer free, its will be nice if you also contact him via his mail drambermurray@gmail.com,am very sure he can be of help too. I am really happy sharing my story with you

    ReplyDelete